What are Cancer Support Groups?
Support groups offer a place to get information, share comfort and support and reduce anxiety. They are a place where you can speak freely with others who share your experiences, concerns and emotions.
Many support groups are available in the Philadelphia area including these:
American Cancer Society Programs
- Cancer Information and Referral – The American Cancer Society can help people affected by cancer understand and manage the impact of the illness throughout their experience by providing information about community resources, support groups, educational programs and help with other practical needs such as transportation.
- Can Surmount – A one on one buddy program where patients are matched with cancer survivors who’ve had a similar type of cancer or who’ve been through similar cancer treatments. Family members can also get support from trained caregivers.
- I Can Cope – educational series for cancer patients and their families. Courses taught by healthcare professionals and offered at various hospitals throughout the Philadelphia area.
- Look Good…Feel Better – workshops for women where trained and licensed cosmetologists teach how to cope with changes in appearance, such as hair loss and skin care, due to cancer treatments.
- Man to Man – A Self-help community for men with prostate cancer and their partners. Meetings offer education and networking opportunities with others who have the same diagnosis.
- Reach to Recovery – A breast cancer support program providing relevant information, practical tips and support for women with breast cancer. Support is provided before, during and after cancer treatment, through visits and phone calls by trained ACA -American Cancer Society volunteers who are breast cancer survivors themselves.
- Road to Recovery – A cancer patient transportation program. Rides are provided by volunteer drivers, helping patients get to and from cancer-related treatments and doctor appointments.
- Specific Assistance Programs – Limited financial assistance is available to assist with cancer related medications, medical equipment and supplies. Also homemaker help and other needs based assistance is supplied (based on financial eligibility).
- Survivorship Activities – An annual conference featuring workshops about practical issues confronting people with cancer during and after treatment. Survivorship activities are also features at “Relay for Life” events held each spring. Families and support persons are welcome.
- Young Survival Coalition – Young women facing breast cancer together. Resources are available on their website.
Local Philadelphia Area Cancer Support Groups
- Grand View Hospital Cancer Rehabilitation & Support Services
- St. Luke’s Hospital Quakertown – Cancer Support Group
- Doylestown Hospital – Cancer Support Services
- For those times in life when filling their table will warm their hearts – takethemameal.com